Wednesday, July 20, 2011


It seems like just yesterday I perched on a stack of books at my grandfather's roll-top desk, typing with one finger at his Underwood typewriter.  I adored the mechanical tap-tap, the scent of ink, and the beauty of the mellow font; in fact, I still do.

When I spotted this Underwood Master, 1939, across a crowded room at the Heart of Ohio Antique Center, a few months ago, I flew to his side and made him my own.  Okay, he needs a little work; the keys are stiff and he needs a new ribbon. Still, a bargain at $30.

The Underwood Master became truly famous after a publicity stunt at the 1939 World's Fair in New York.  A gigantic 14 ton working model was constructed, earning the title "The World's Largest Typewriter".  It took paper 9 x 12 feet and the ribbon was 5 inches wide and 100 feet long.  Thank god, my Underwood isn't quite so large.


It does, however, evoke pleasant memories, as well as being personally symbolic.  Not in my wildest of dreams, would I have imagined my self turning to writing at this stage of my life.  Maybe my attraction to Grandpa's Underwood was a foreshadowing of my future?  Yes, I think it was. Who knew?

There is nothing to writing.  
All you do is sit down at a typewriter 
and bleed.

Ernest Hemingway 

Popular Posts